Western Sahara 2016

Western Sahara 2016

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Crazy Cairo

Arrived safely in Cairo after an easy 4.5 hour flight. The plane was virtually empty and I had three seats to myself - perfect. On landing in Cairo, I was immediately bombarded with numerous offers of taxis (and this was before I had even got to passport control and reclaimed my baggage) - the joys of being a lone female traveller! Fortunately, the hotel taxi was ready and waiting for me despite the flight landing 30 mins early.

Options presented to me by the taxi driver:
1) Air conditioning or windows open - I opted for windows open in order to take in the sights, sounds and smells of Cairo.
2) Music - Egyptian or English - well it has to be Egyptian
3) Driving style - Egyptian or a more careful approach - to which I replied I don't mind as long as we don't crash! Suffice to say, the driving in Cairo is crazy and we were soon weaving in and out of cars, horns blasting, music blaring, drivers leaning out of the windows yelling at each other, all whilst chatting on mobiles.

Cairo is a strange mix of some beautiful and intricately designed buildings next to dilapidated dirty tower blocks. I guess with 25 million people living in Cairo, they need to live somewhere...

After a 40 min drive through the smog and craziness that is rush hour in Cairo, we came to a slightly more leafy area known as Garden City in which my hotel is situated. The hotel is certainly far from glamorous but it will suffice and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Some of my fellow group members had already arrived so seven of us met up and went for dinner at a restaurant 10 mins walk from the hotel. I now know how to cross roads in Cairo - it largely involves taking your life in your hands and weaving in and out of six lanes of traffic. The best method seems to be finding a local person to follow!

Tomorrow I have a fun morning at the British Embassy to look forward to as we've just been told a letter from the embassy is required in order to accompany our Sudanese visa applications. Going by the experiences others have had in the group, this could involve several hours of waiting...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a ball already Zoe! Just as well you have your kindle for waiting around in boring Embassies!?!

    ReplyDelete