Western Sahara 2016

Western Sahara 2016

Friday 17 May 2013

Two years of blogging comes to a close....

For those of you that follow my blog, you may have noticed that blog posts have been a little thin on the ground recently. I originally set my blog up to keep a record of my travels during my belated “gap year”. As you know, my travels led me to Kenya where I have spent the best part of the last 18 months working at a safari lodge on Lewa Downs in northern Kenya. How time flies when you are having fun. I’ve now decided to stay a little longer – frankly the economic situation in the UK, not to mention the atrocious weather is a little off putting – so for the foreseeable future I will be taking on the job of lodge manager.

Part of my new job has been to set up and run the Facebook page for the lodge – uploading photos and details of events that have occurred and raising awareness of what an amazing lodge Lewa Wilderness Trails is. With that in mind, I now think it is time to bring my own blog to a close. For those that still want a snapshot of my daily life on Lewa, then check out www.facebook.com/LewaWilderness and like us on Facebook!

I had always planned to include in my final blog a list of some of the top experiences and places visited over the past two years, so – in no particular order - here goes….

-          Swimming with whale sharks in Mozambique

-          Snorkelling with manta rays in Coral Bay, Western Australia

-          Getting crazily close to rhinos whilst walking on Lewa

-          Riding with lions on Lewa

-          White water rafting the White Nile, Uganda

-          Seeing mountain gorillas in Uganda

-          Horse riding in Lake Malawi

-          The White Desert, Egypt

-          Visiting the mountain kingdom of Lesotho via the Sani Pass

-          Bunji jumping off Bloukrans Bridge, South Africa

-          The Taj Mahal, India

-          The holy city of Varanasi on the River Ganges, India

-          Sky diving over Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand

-          Hiking the Routeburn Track, New Zealand

-          Flying in the biplane over Lewa and Samburu

-          Galloping along the Wilderness airstrip at sunrise with the biplane flying alongside

-          Awesome Odyssey times with great people (Odyssey is the company I did my Cairo to Cape Town trip with)

-          Seeing cheetah cubs

-          Spotting wild dog

-          Staying at Rutundu, Mount Kenya (where Wills and Kate got engaged!

And there are many many more besides. All in all, when I reflect on the past two years, life has been pretty damn good. So goodbye for now, thanks for reading – don’t forget to check out Facebook – and I will blog again next time I go on my travels. Not sure when that will be, but – given my wanderlust - the chances are it will happen again sometime…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zoe,

    It's me Chris, we worked together for 18 months at MCW.

    I have been reading quite this frequently. What a journey, thanks for sharing. And what a place to end up, excellent life choices.

    I sort of stopped my blog, with my travels ending last yeat but I am restarting, as I'm off to live in Alaska in from the 14th July, my green card was authorised last Tuesday.

    From Credit Manager to Lodge Manager in Kenya... Legendary. Don't lose the wanderlust.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete