Western Sahara 2016

Western Sahara 2016

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Arrived in New Zealand

So at last here I am in New Zealand. I did think at one point that I might not actually make it. When I tried to check in for my flight from Sydney to Auckland, they refused to let me because I didn't have a flight out of NZ booked. Mad panic to buy a ticket before check in closed. I am assured that the ticket I bought back to Sydney is fully refundable. I was particularly irked that I had to buy it from Qantas who already owe me money for the cancelled Brisbane flight! I suppose every cloud has a silver lining and mine was that because this made me late checking in, there were no seats left in economy and they had to upgrade me to business class. Never before has this happened to me, although I know lots of people who it seems to happen to all the time. May be the trick is to check in late, but this seems a risky strategy just for the sake of an upgrade. I have to say that apart from the reclining seat and extra leg room, it wasn't really that exciting. It would be good on a long flight but I was only on the plane three hours so it didn't make much difference.

Well, when I landed in Auckland (late at night to wind and rain), I was at least one of the first off the plane - that is the plus side of travelling business class. Did they ask to see my flight ticket out of NZ at immigration?? No. Did they automatically issue me with a six month visa? Yes. Very annoying!!

For the past two nights, I have been staying in possibly one of the most depressing backpacker hostels I have ever stayed in. There is something about large city centre backpackers that I really dislike. May be it is the 500 beds, the windowless rooms, the disinterested staff and the general filth? I will definitely never stay in a "Base Backpackers" again. I stayed in one in Sydney on my last night and it was equally as depressing. The female only "sanctuary" rooms look most appealing on their website. In reality, they are anything but and the towels are most definitely not fluffy as they claim! Small, independent (not chain) backpackers is the way forwards. Or may be I should just treat myself to a hotel room when I am back in Auckland at the end of the month. At least I am now genuinely looking forward to camping again - fresh air, a view, and not being disturbed by fellow room mates.

Auckland seems a bit grey right now. The weather is not great which doesn't help. I did go up the Sky Tower yesterday which was quite good. It is 220m high which is only slightly higher than the bungee jump I did in South Africa. Looking down from the tower yesterday, I really have no idea how I ever did that! You can also do a sky jump from the tower although I didn't take that option. Very expensive and I am saving myself for sky diving..

For the next month, I will be on an organised tour of NZ via the Flying Kiwi bus. The original plan was to start this in Auckland today, but they've asked me to start in Christchurch instead - presumably due to numbers. Anyway, they are paying for return flights to Christchurch and have refunded the cost of my bike hire as an added incentive so that is all good. Hopefully, lots of walking and cycling this month so I will be super fit by the end of it! I fly to Christchurch later on this morning and meet up with the group. I'm told the weather on South Island is very wet right now so camping could be fun?!

No comments:

Post a Comment