Western Sahara 2016

Western Sahara 2016

Sunday 27 November 2011

The rest of North Island

From the Coromandel Peninsula, it was on to Rotorua, famed for its thermal wonders - hot springs, exploding mud pools and geysers. There were a number of different activities on offer, but I elected for an afternoon at the Polynesian Spa to enjoy the hot pools and a revitalising back massage - much needed after all the exercise I am getting on this trip. Nice to have a bit of luxury before a night at a wilderness camp by Lake Rerewhakaaitu. Went for a cycle ride around the lake before dinner.

The next morning, we went to a geyser which goes off each day at 10.15am (with a little chemical help so not entirely natural) and some mud pools - not the type you go in unless you fancy third degree burns. Then it was on to Wai-O-Tapu thermal wonderland which included numerous craters, pools and crazy coloured lakes ranging from browns to flourescent greens due to the minerals.

Next stop was Huka Falls where the bus dropped us and we walked into the lakeside town of Taupo. Lake Taupo is the largest lake in NZ and one of the largest crater lakes in the world. The walk was lovely all along the river with a refreshing swim at the end. There was also a hot waterfall where you could sit in the pool below if you didn't fancy a cold dip in the river.

We spent the night at a camp in Turangi. The next day, most people did the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. This is one of NZ's greatest day walks and the weather held out (for once!). Unfortunately, I couldn't do it because I have a stinking cold and thought that a day hike probably wouldn't help me get better any quicker. Now in Wellington (again) and I've decided to leave the Flying Kiwi trip at this point. Only three days left to go but loads of travelling - another ferry crossing back to Picton, then a drive down the coast to Kaikoura and then to Christchurch before a flight back to Auckland. Rather than do this, I'm just going to spend one night in Wellington then fly to Auckland tomorrow. That will give me three nights in Auckland to prepare for the next leg of my adventure and hopefully shift this cold. Treating myself to three nights in a hotel which I'm very excited about. I know I shouldn't complain about travelling as I'm getting to see and do so many amazing things, however, you can get sick of sleeping either in a tent or a shared dorm room with shared bathroom facilities. 

Been pottering around Wellington today. It is often referred to as 'windy Welly' by locals and today I could certainly see why. The wind was gusting to such an extent that it was actually hard to stay on your feet and you have to dodge flying debris. Crazy - glad I'm not on the ferry crossing to Picton tonight - could be a rough one. Went to the Te Papa national museum this afternoon. Not normally a fan of museums but this was quite interesting - particularly the giant squid and the earthquake simulator - and it's all free.

No comments:

Post a Comment