Western Sahara 2016

Western Sahara 2016

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Goodbye New Zealand

Well, it's my final day in NZ. Not sure what has happened in the past three days but I think it's probably a good thing that I finished the Flying Kiwi trip early. I never would have got myself organised for the next stage of my adventure otherwise!

So for those of you who don't already know, I am heading back to the continent that I love - Africa. I have been lucky enough to land a job working with horses on a game reserve in Northern Kenya (website is www.lewawilderness.com if you are interested). I definitely rediscovered my passion for horses during my travels in Africa so this provides me with a fantastic opportunity to live and work in a beautiful place. Has to be more fun than working in finance anyway?!

The last few days have largely been spent trying to shift this cold, shopping for horsey stuff and all other essential items that aren't so easy to come by in Africa (toiletries, etc), doing laundry and generally just chilling out in my hotel room. So much nicer than hostel life. Mind you, the unfortunate people who had to share a dorm with me in Wellington the other night must have been cursing me - coughing and sneezing all night long. Still, I consider it karma for all the nights I have been disturbed by people coming in late, getting up early, etc - that's backpacker life for you. A cheap bed means a rubbish night's sleep. Staying in a hotel has been fab - my own bathroom and a TV. NZ TV is exactly like English TV - has all the same shows, even Emmerdale? I can't say that I've missed TV whilst travelling but it is quite nice to be able to lie in bed watching Michael McIntyre (my favourite comedian) on TV. Reckon tonight is going to be takeaway pizza and more TV - must enjoy these things whilst I still can..

Anyway, sounds like it is all kicking off in the UK with the strikes (even NZ news programs have reported this). Just read that Jeremy Clarkson announced that strikers should be shot - is it wrong that I found that funny?!

Well, enough from me. I haven't actually done anything news worthy in the past few days. My most exciting adventure was locating an equestrian store (what did we do before internet?) and getting the bus out to Newmarket, an Auckland suburb, to buy a hat, chaps and boots. Other than that, my hotel is right in the centre of Auckland so everything else I need is right on my doorstep.

Tomorrow, flight to Bangkok, than on to Nairobi. Hopefully, they will actually let me in to Kenya and ignore the fact that I have no onward flight ticket. I'll soon find out anyway....

No comments:

Post a Comment