Western Sahara 2016

Western Sahara 2016

Saturday 17 September 2011

5,4,3,2,1 bungee!

Friday 16th Sept was a special day. My best friend gave birth to a baby girl and I decided to mark the occasion by doing the highest bungee jump in the world - Bloukrans Bridge, South Africa, 216 metres high. Terrifying and awesome all at the same time.

For months now, I have kind of intended to do this jump but never fully committed to it. As the day drew nearer, I began to seriously regret telling people on the trip that I would do it as it meant I couldn't really back out. Our camp site the night before was on the stunning Garden Route in Tsitsikamma National Park on the coast. The waves were crashing on the rocks and it was quite wet and wild. I secretly hoped that perhaps it would be too windy and the bungee jump would not be operating. Sadly, I awoke to clear blue skies and sunshine...it was going to happen..I would have to jump. I have bungeed before but nothing like this high and it was about 10 years ago when frankly I was much braver than I am now..something to do with getting old I think.

So with legs like jelly, we arrived at Bloukrans Bridge and Jason and I headed to the registration point (note that only two people from the truck are crazy enough to do this bungee). We then found out that we would have to wait 45 minutes so more nail biting. You then get harnessed up and led along a caged walkway under the bridge. This is the worst walk of your life - do not look down, do not look sideways, just look straight ahead. I knew if I even got a glimpse of how high I was, I might not be able to do it. Once you get to the platform area, you get briefed and advised to dive as far out as you can when you jump. If you hesitate, they will push you, you might end up going feet first and you won't get a smooth jump, etc, etc. Too much information to process when you are in a blind panic. Luckily, I was first up which was just as well - best to get it over and done with. The jump guys have the music pumping and start dancing. This is good - it does distract you from what it about to happen but at the same time you are kind of thinking I hope they are paying attention when they strap you up.

With your ankles strapped together, you hop / get carried to the edge. I imagine this is how it feels to be led to your execution (perhaps a slight exaggeration but you get the idea). At this point, I was looking resolutely ahead and slightly up (as instructed) - I was definitely not going to look down. There really is no backing out now so I just went for it. I don't think my dive was very impressive but I definitely did jump and screamed. Note that even men scream when they bungee - I think it is impossible not to. This jump is about 5-7 seconds of freefall depending on your weight. About half way down, there is this incredible moment of weightlessness when you really feel like you are flying. The jump was very smooth and there wasn't a massive jolt when you reach the end. The worst thing is probably hanging upside down for ages afterwards whilst you wait for the guy to come down to you and get pulled back up. You kind of feel like your feet may slip out of the ankle holds. In reality this isn't going to happen, plus you have a second attachment to your waist so there is a back up!

I have to say that you do feel amazing after doing bungee. It is such an adrenalin rush. Plus now I never need to bungee again in my life. I've done the highest one and there is no need to do another one ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment