Western Sahara 2016

Western Sahara 2016

Wednesday 28 September 2011

The African Odyssey comes to an end..

As this will be my last blog entry in Africa I feel that I should be writing something deep and meaningful about my time here. Before I think about that though, an update on what I've been up to over the past few days.

After transferring to a backpackers hostel in the centre of the city, Friday in Cape Town was spent lunching on the waterfront and then taking a ferry to Robben Island. Did the touristy tour of the island including a visit to the cell where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for thirty odd years. Not massively impressed with the tour but the ferry ride across to the island gives you a fantastic view of Cape Town and Table Mountain so worth it for that alone.

On Saturday, Rogan, Claire and I went for a beautiful drive along the coast out to Camps Bay and beyond - simply stunning scenery. On returning to Cape Town, we decided to climb up Lions Head which is like a mini version of Table Mountain that still affords spectacular views over the city but its free. It's fair to say that the climb was somewhat tougher than anticipated especially in the midday heat with no water! It was a spontaneous idea so we hadn't really prepared ourselves for a hike. However, it was well worth the effort and it's a fun walk / climb with quite a few ladders and clambering over rocks to actually reach the summit.

Sad times on Saturday night as it was a final dinner with friends from the trip. We went to a Kurdish restaurant which was fantastic, great atmosphere - sitting on cushions, belly dancers and shisha. Since we have spent so many nights around the campfire smoking shisha on this trip, it was only fitting that we went to a restaurant that sold shisha. Cherie, Jase, Claire and Jon - thanks for making this trip awesome - it would not have been the same without you guys..

The past few days have been spent in Kynsna, five hours out of Cape Town. Kynsna is a great place on the coast (we visited it earlier on the trip) that has been voted South Africa's favourite holiday town and one of the world's top 100 destinations. Rogan's family have a holiday home here in a spectacular location overlooking the lagoon. It has been so lovely to spend a few days living in a house after 20 weeks on the road. Have done very little other than go to the beach and walk along the coast.

So it is hard to believe that in just two days time I will be in Australia. I have loved being in Africa and in many ways don't want this section of my travels to come to an end. Africa is an amazing place. I would like to try and record my highlights at this point but there are so many it is hard to know where to start. I probably need to read my own blog to actually remember them all! Beautiful sunsets, starry nights and happy people all stand out. Africa definitely teaches you that you don't need lots of material possessions to be content. It also makes me ashamed of our throwaway society in the UK - nothing ever gets wasted in Africa as someone will have a use for items that you or I might consider worthless.

Well, my next blog post will be from Australia. Next stop - Perth....

No comments:

Post a Comment