Western Sahara 2016

Western Sahara 2016

Monday 15 October 2012

India - here I come!


I’m flying to Delhi tomorrow! I have wanted to visit India for years and finally the time has come. I have just over six weeks to explore this vast country. What makes it even more fantastic is that Dianne and I have no schedule. The extent of our concrete plans so far is booking an airport pick up and a room for the first night. I love the freedom of backpacking - not knowing where each day will take you and just enjoying the adventure.

I think I have escaped from Lewa just in time. The rains, which I was assured by numerous locals would start on 15th October, actually started last week. Absolutely crazy thunderstorms all night long. One thunder clap was so loud that we all agreed at breakfast the next morning that it sounded like a bomb being dropped. Whilst the rains are fantastic for Lewa, it is quite miserable being there in that weather because you literally cannot go anywhere or do anything. Within hours, the roads (I use that term loosely) are impossible to drive on without getting stuck. Much of Lewa is black cotton soil which vehicles just sink into. The only hope of getting through it is just to drive really fast (which is quite fun but quite scary). What is incredible though is how the grass is already starting to turn green. It is hard to believe that a few days ago, Lewa was dusty, parched, dryed up yellows and browns and before our eyes, you can see green sprouts emerging.

You would think that the horses would enjoy the rain, but clearly they don’t make the connection between rain and green grass. They virtually had to be pushed out of their stables the first morning as they did not want to get wet! They soon got into it though and several took mud baths completely caking themselves in mud from head to toe.

Luckily, the rain has not been constant and it has mostly been at night. When I left Lewa today, it was a beautiful sunny day. As always, sad to leave the horses behind and the kittens who have grown into gorgeous little cats. Everyone loves them. I’m still convinced that they will be eaten by leopard one night but so far, so good. Whether they will be there when I return from India is another matter…

It seems that whenever I plan to leave Lewa, the horses decide to be sick. They must know that I am leaving! When I came back to the UK in April, Champagne (foal number 1) had colic the day I was departing. This week, Santa (foal number 2) has had colic for three days straight. The drugs work for a few hours and then he is back to rolling round on the floor in agony. Eventually, he had to be stomach tubed and he now seems to be back on track. As I pointed out to him, I did not spend six months bandaging his legs for him to die on me now! Note to self, do not let the foals near freshly baled lucerne. That said, his little sister, Sheba (foal number 3), ate it and was absolutely fine. I think Santa was just being a bit gutsy and overdid it. It also appears that foal number 4 could be on the way. Somewhat unexpected as the vet did not think this mare was in foal when he checked back in June. However, she did go to the stallion 11 months ago and looks suspiciously pregnant to me with her fat belly and udders full of milk! Watch this space.

We are also getting a new horse - a yearling colt coming up from Zimbabwe who we plan to keep as a stallion as he comes from a long line of polo ponies. Poor little boy has been cruelly snatched from his mum (his owners go in for natural weaning so he was still with the mare) and put on a lorry with a bunch of other horses for the six day drive from Zim to Kenya. He arrived in Nairobi last night after a particularly gruelling 20 hour driving day! We own two of his aunties so they have been dispatched to Nairobi to accompany him on the last leg of his journey to Lewa. So sad that I won’t be there to see him arrive.

Anyway, I too am in Nairobi tonight where it is pouring with rain. Time for bed now and, best of all, I won’t need to get up at 6.20am as my flight isn’t until lunchtime. Every single day on Lewa my alarm goes off at 6.20am. Much as I love the horses, I am very much looking forward to a lie in!

No comments:

Post a Comment